10 December 2013

Upcycle a wooden tray - an easy DIY project

I am tray obsessed at the moment!
 I have upcycled two trays now, one for the coffee table and one for my bedroom. This is the one for my bedroom that I finished last week, it was super easy to upcycle and no power tools were required! I simply purchased this tray form Kmart for $10, added a little paint and voilĂ ! 


If you want to upcycle a tray and make it your own all you need is:
- A serving tray (can be purchased from discount stores or Kmart)
- A cut out pattern (I used a placemat from a discount store)
- Paint
-Sponge
- Tape
- Spraypaint


Firstly give the tray a light sand, then using a damp sponge apply a thin layer of paint. Let it dry completely before applying a second layer. Lightly sand and if needed, apply another coat of paint.

Then take your cut out pattern and center it on the tray. I used duct tape to fasten my placemat and also protect the edges of the tray from getting over spray on them.


Using a spray can, apply a layer of paint over the cut out pattern. Once completely dry, remove the cut out and if required, lightly sand. You may at this stage want to apply another layer of paint using the damp sponge, to give it a rustic, worn appearance.


Here is my completed tray. I am so thrilled with how it turned out!


What do you think?
Do you love how it turned out?

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails