8 December 2014

How to create a Coastal feel in your home

Want your home to have a beachy vibe? Read on...

When I think of a coastal home, I am drawn to crisp whites, texture, timber, natural fibres, woven rugs, rattan, beach combing finds and lots of layers! Today I am going to be sharing with you some simple ideas on how to make your home feel coastal and homely. For me, my home is a touch of coastal, glam and natural. I love the feel of white and timber, paired with garden and beach combing finds. For me, a clutter free home with a simple colour palette makes me feel relaxed and I like being able to add certain coastal elements for a beachy feel.

Here are some ways you can achieve a coastal feel in your home,

Whitewash timber
Do you have an old piece of timber furniture or timber in your home that needs updating? Why not try a light whitewash paint effect. It is a cheap and easy way to update without having to buy new! I have achieved the whitewash effect on two side tables, you can see tutorials here and here.




Natural fibres
Incorporate natural fibres in your home using cushions, rugs, wicker storage baskets or ottomans. Take your cue from the outdoors and your surrounds, adding this feel of natural fibres from earthy materials, shell, jute, wicker, or cane. This will create a coastal rustic feel and add layers of texture and interest in your home. 

Beach combing finds
I love to display my beach combing finds and holiday treasures for people to admire in my home. It is a great talking point and I love sharing the story behind a treasured piece of coral or gorgeous shell. Here I display an assortment of shells, a clam and coral pieces alongside each other on my coffee table.



Candles to bring the scent of the outdoors/ocean
I love receiving candles as gifts, they are something that I don't often purchase for myself but I always appreciate a gorgeously boxed, fragrant smelling candle. Last Christmas I received a gorgeous Glasshouse candle 'Amalfi Coastline' which gives off the most amazing salty sea smell. Why not put a candle on your Christmas wishlist this year? It is such a great way to relax at the end of the day...

Simple chain store purchases cheap
If you are not the DIY or creative type, then don't be afraid to buy reasonable chain store purchases to add a touch of coastal to your home. Here's my $7 Kmart doorstop. I love the way its adds a touch of beach and nautical to my home at such a reasonable price!



Add a touch of greenery
You don't need to have a green thumb to be able to grow an indoor plant. Choose an indoor plant that is relatively maintenance free and tough. I love succulents, cacti and palms for indoor plants. Adding a touch of greenery is not only great for your air quality, but brings nature indoors. It's a win win!




Do you have a coastal home? Would you love a coastal, neutral, nature inspired home? Why not try a few of these tips - be brave and don't be afraid to DIY!

Do you have some tips to share with me on how you create a coastal inspired home?

Follow Glamour Coastal Living:
 INSTAGRAM // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST // SHOP

No comments :

Post a Comment

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails