26 June 2015

Feature Friday: The Home of Nicole from The Builder's Wife

A house that is a home.

I have been so excited all week to share with you this lovely home, which belongs to Nicole of The Builders Wife. Nicole shares on The Builders Wife inspiring spaces, her home and family life as well as tips of the trade.


Over the last twelve months since Nicole purchased her home, she has shared with her readers her beautiful home, called "Pen Y Llechwedd". It's a home with history, it is over one hundred years old and Nicole has been so kind to share it with us today. 

When you hear Nicole speaking of her house, you can see how much she loves its history and making changes to make it more liveable as a larger family whilst still keeping true to its style and heritage.


Lets take a look inside shall we and learn a little about this home that has such an amazing story to tell...







Nicole, it’s so lovely to have you here with us – tell us a bit about yourself, as well as your blog and business!

Thank you for having me Ashlea. Hi, I’m Nicole, I am a builder’s wife, a business manager, blogger, mummy to 2 and step mummy to 3. I have a blog called The Builder’s Wife where I share about our renovation to our 100+ year old home, and our building company Fernbrooke Homes. I am relatively new to the building industry, but love the challenges of learning in what used to be a male dominated industry. My husband and I, are working together to ensure equality within our company, and to promote what we believe a good building company should look and feel like to its clients.

I have been following your blog for some time now and remember reading about your excitement when you purchased your new home - tell us a little about your home and its history.

This was the most exciting day for us. I have long admired beautiful old Queenslanders and dreamt of owning a home with a window seat and a library. I still cannot believe that my dream became our reality. Our home “Pen Y Llechwedd” was built in 1913, by prominent architect, George Brockwell Gill, for the well know former mayor of Ipswich, Fredrick Goleby, who then gifted the home to his daughter and son in law. It has so many beautiful original features, like the gorgeous front door, the light fittings and all the original window glass. We just love being a part of such amazing history.

Have you made any changes to your home?

We've made massive changes, and still have so many more to make. The biggest change so far, has been the addition of 4 bedrooms, bathroom, toilet and living space downstairs. With 5 kids we needed to make sure we had enough room for each to have their own space. Yet to come is an extension to the rear of the house which will be home to a new kitchen, bar room, deck and outdoor kitchen, leading out to the ‘to be built’ pool area.

Describe your style?

I'm not sure what you would call my style, I guess it would be classic and understated. This house really speaks for itself with its beautiful pressed metal ceilings, gorgeous bay windows, and window seats. I am trying to keep this quite simple, so that the house can be the star.
Favourite Room?
At the moment, my favourite room is our bedroom. It is the stuff of my dreams, literally. I designed this room on a Pinterest board, and got exactly what I wanted. I just love it, it’s soft and feminine without being over the top. I could lie for hours just staring at the ceilings.

Biggest indulgence?

Our lounge, we had it made to our specifications, and what an amazing experience that was. I love, love, love the floral fabric on the cushions, and adore the velvet ottoman. It’s wonderfully comfy, a perfect place to relax.

Proudest DIY moment?

Learning to paint. We did most of the painting ourselves, we did leave the gloss work to the professionals, but the rest we did. I learnt that preparation is the most important part of painting, and that time spent doing a job well, is time spent well. I love our colour, and I love the finish of our job.

What do friends say when they visit your home?

They all love it, the history, the architecture, and the feel of the home. Most comment on how it feels as they walk through the front door, they are completely surprised by how big it is once inside, and can’t believe what downstairs offers.

Best advice for others buying a new home with renovation plans in mind?

If you can, don’t do anything until you've lived in your home for a while. We have changed plans so many times, and we’ve only been here for 9 months. We live in our home so differently to the way we imagined we would. Our kitchen plan has changed 3 times, the laundry 4 times, and our ensuite is in the process of having its plans changed. Take all the time you can, you won’t regret it.



Isn't "Pen Y Llechwedd" just gorgeous?
I love the wood panelling along the walls, the bay windows and stained glass features. I read about the restoration of the gorgeous side table above, that Nicole stripped and painted black. 

I love that Nicole's home is a labour of love and I think this is reflected, giving it a warm and homely feel. 










I'd love to hear what you think - what do you love about Nicole's home? Do you have a home with history too, or a story to tell?

If you've enjoyed reading about Nicole and her gorgeous home, be sure say hi and follow Nicole via The Builders Wife Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest

If you have a home that you would like to share on Glamour Coastal Living then get in touch with me - I would love to hear from you! It could be a renovation, a new makeover or a house tour. Or you may have seen a house in your neighbourhood you think is worth sharing?

Hope you have enjoyed seeing inside Nicole's home today - I know I did! x

Linking up with Sonia Life, Love + Hiccups and With Some Grace

Follow Glamour Coastal Living:
 INSTAGRAM // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST // SHOP

19 comments :

  1. What an absolutely beautiful home. You can just feel the warmth and gorgeous vibes through the pics. Have a wonderful weekend hun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonia. She sure is a gift of history. xx

      Delete
    2. Gorgeous isn't it Sonia, you are so right about the warmth and vibes from the pics. I just want to cosy up by the bay window! x

      Delete
  2. I just adore the wrap around verandah. Thanks for introducing me to Nicole Ashley, I'm off to check her out. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure Sarah, so glad you enjoyed the post and home tour. If you have any tech questions with your new build, Nicole is your lady - lots of knowledge and contacts! Have a fabulous weekend x

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous home! Adore the wrap around verandah. Divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely stunning home. I much prefer an old home to a new modern one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was raised in Queensland but have lived in SA for the last 20 years, every time I see an old Queenslander my heart bests faster. I love them and Nicole's verandah is the stuff dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - they are so beautiful. I have been known to yell at Hubby to 'STOP, STOP THE CAR'...yap I am that crazy house obsessed lady that stops out the front of peoples houses to snap a picture of QLDer beauties!!

      Delete
  6. I feel so privileged to see inside your gorgeous home! I write a lot of write ups for homes in the newspaper, like walk throughs and I'm also in awe of those 1900 homes that have been renovated. And Nicole is such a sweetie, I had the pleasure of spending some time with her in Melbourne recently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Emily - lucky you being able to write about homes, you must see some beauties I bet! There are some renos that are great, others just try to modernise too much I think. Nicole has done a wonderful job, hope you had a fab time at Kidspot Voices! x

      Delete
  7. Those windows are just stunning. I think Nicole's home is one of those that I would go into and be terrible at conversation because I would be looking at every little detail. I want to see those ceilings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know exactly what you mean Karin! I would be like a kid in a candy shop! :P

      Delete
  8. Nicole's home is so stunning! A home with history and a story to tell is something quite special. I love the window seat and that verandah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The window seat is a beauty isn't it Shannon. Thanks for the linkup and stopping by! x

      Delete
  9. What a stunning home. I love Queenslanders and Nicole has done such a beautiful job with hers. Those verandahs are divine and I love that there is so much history there and obviously so much love now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki for your kind words, the verandahs are divine. Nothing better than sitting outside on a hot summer QLD evening - I think Nicole has us all jealous!!

      Delete
  10. I think I just fell in love! Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Nicole's home and her blog. Pen Y Llechwedd is like a living fairytale, and I love seeing each chapter unfold as each part of the house gets the Nicole touch. I just know that this house is going to be a happy ever after home.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails